Saturday, August 12, 2006

Down with DC

I have officially written and mailed my letter of complaint to American Airlines (two pages, with bullet points! Very professional. I was going to e-mail it, but you could only have 1500 characters in an email and I had more than 1500 characters worth of complaining to do), and now I am ready to forget that bad part of the trip and concentrate on the awesome week of archives and fun that came before it. (Plus, as everyone keeps telling me, wouldn't it have been extra sucky if our trip back was this weekend instead? No chapstick on the plane? I would die.)

All 165 of our photos are now up on my Flickr site in all their glory. Behold the wonder that is our nation's capital. Some highlights of the trip included: the Washington Monument (really very tall, and generally further away than it looks); the Lincoln Memorial (one of my favorite things about the trip); riding the Metro (which we did a lot, but which I neglected to really photograph); Josh paying tribute to Texas, Nebraska, the weird blue chair in our hotel room, and a strange decorative pillow on our bed; the view from our hotel window; tons of taxidermied mammals at the National Museum of Natural History (sooooo awesome); lots of real animals at the National Zoo (which Josh got to see while I was doing work stuff, boo); hanging out with A. at the National Archives (and lots of other places including restaurants, bars, trains, busses, and conference sessions); an olive pit shaped like a penis (no kidding); muppets, dark crystal creatures, red slippers, howdy doody, and other neat stuff at the National Museum of American History (where we also got to drink as much beer as we could hold for the price of a $10 wristband -- drinking beer in museums is really fun, and should be part of every tour); and a lovely walk on our last day there when the heat wave finally broke and we looked at all the cool embassies in the Dupont Circle neighborhood.

Plus other stuff. Do yourself a favor and flip through all 165 photos. Pretend you are us! Pretend you went to DC! All the tools are at your disposal, folks, so take advantage of this opportunity.

No comments: