Saturday, October 27, 2007

No Country for Old Men

I moved No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy (2005) up to the top of my reading list, as I wanted to read it before the movie (directed by the Coen brothers) comes out, which I believe will be quite soon. Reading the book before seeing the movie almost never works out (the movie tends to disappoint), but I don't think that will be the case with the Coen brothers. They have disappointed me in the past, but I can't wait to see what they do with this story.

Oh, and this book is great and awesome and rough and violent and wonderful. I read the last 150 pages in one night. It has good guys, bad guys, and a few guys that are kind of caught up in circumstances. There is quite a bit of honor and pride and stubbornness as well. I can't say much more than that because I liked it too much. You should read it too.

2 comments:

Plop Blop said...

On the Time Magazine website (I think) there is a short conversation between the Coen brothers and Cormac McCarthy. Technically, it's only the fourth interview he's ever done. It's really great. He totally zings them about Miller's Crossing. (I think that there's a link to it on the Stop Smiling blog website. Sorry I don't have the link handy.)

Spacebeer said...

That is a great interview -- and the link is here. I am actually a little surprised by how kind of jovial Cormac McCarthy is...