Thursday, October 25, 2007

The Turn of the Screw

Thanks to the tid-bit sized e-mails of Dailylit, I just finished reading The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (1898). This novella is very time- appropriate for October, since it is a very strange psychological little ghost story.

The meat of the story has a governess being hired by a dashing man who is uncle to two orphaned children he has housed in the country. The governess is hired to teach the young girl, and is ordered not to contact the uncle about anything, no matter what. Once there, she is charmed by the girl and befriended by the housekeeper. Soon after, the young boy is set home from boarding school for some unnamed infraction. The governess is charmed by the boy as well and quite happy with herself and her job. Until she starts seeing the ghosts of her predecessor and the lover of the former-governess -- who both died under mysterious circumstances. Our governess must rescue the innocent children from these creepy ghosts! Or are the children really so innocent? And are there even really any ghosts?

My next Dailylit read is Dracula (I'm already a few sections in). I think ghost stories make excellent daily email reading...

[You can sign up for it on Dailylit here, or if you want to read it all at once, check it out here.]

3 comments:

steigrrr said...

Is that really the cover art on the copy you own? It's great!

steigrrr said...

Oh, wait, I just looked closer and it's not a book cover. It's a poster for the opera. Still, it's great! Kind of Saul Bass-esque. Or Saul Bass-y? Bassish. Anyway, I like it.

Spacebeer said...

I agree, it is very Bassish. And awesome. I read an electronic copy of this book, which means I have no physical cover at all. Since i get to pick my cover, I pick this one.