Monday, March 17, 2008

Wrestlemania!

What 1985 event involved Liberace, Muhammad Ali, Hulk Hogan, Cyndi Lauper, Mr. T, and the Rockettes; made ample use of the previously unknown verbs "crotched" and "Pearl Harbored"; and featured persons from Parts Unknown? Why Wrestlemania 1, of course!

Watch the Wendi Richter (with Cyndi Lauper in her corner) vs. Leilani Kai (with the Fabulous Moolah) match right now while it's still up on You Tube.

And this guy's review of Wrestlemania 1 is great and truly shows how the Internet was made for wrestling fans.

Thank you Netflix for promising to deliver every single Wrestlemania to our door. I can hardly wait for the next one to arrive...

6 comments:

jlowe said...

I watched Wrestlemania 3 on PPV live back in the day. A bunch of guys from my soccer team had a watching party, so it was cheap. I'm a huge Ricky Steamboat mark, and he and Savage have an amazing match.
You can also see the referee accidentally hit the mat 3 times when Andre the Giant pins Hulk Hogan early in the match and then having to try and play it off.

chewtastic said...

hmm. jlowe didn't mention, but if you need a serious time suck, he and an ex of mine used to read dvdvr wayyyyy too much. personally, i don't think i need the minutia of every american, japanese, and luchador match ever taped, but you never know, i suppose.

jlowe said...

Sadly, I still read DVDVR wayyyyy too much. Once I finish my thesis, I'm ordering a 150-match DVD set of the Best of 1980s Mid-South Wrestling to celebrate. Oh, there will be blood.
Hey, my word verification includes "atx"; represent!!

Spacebeer said...

I think there is probably no better way to celebrate a milestone in ones life than watching hours and hours of 1980s Southern wrestling. (that DVD set sounds awesome!)

Josh Krauter said...

OH YEAH, BROTHER! LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING, GINO MONSOON! I'VE SEEN A LOT OF DEAD SUPER BOWLS AND A LOT OF DEAD WORLD SERIES, BROTHER, BUT YOU'LL NEVER SEE A DEAD WRESTLEMANIA, GINO MONSOON! THIS IS THE WRESTLING EVENT OF THE CENTURY, BROTHER!

chewtastic said...

damn you all. i'm going to starve myself until i can fit into my fabulous funk brothers shirt again, illustration circa like 1970 or something. john? do you remember how old that picture is?