Saturday, December 03, 2005

The call of competition

We are having a contest at work to decorate our doors for the winter holidays. I'm not really very crafty, and generally oppose holiday decorations, but I was feeling slightly inspired and, honestly, bored with what I was doing at work, so I decided to make this lovely math-collage tree. You will note that the tree is accented by a moebius strip chain (cuz of the math!) and don't look too closely at the lettering, because its pretty crappy. Its hard to cut puffy letters out of construction paper, ya'll. My student intern made the lovely presents with 3-D bows at the bottom. Altogether a pretty rockin door, no? [see some close ups of it here, plus a bonus picture of me at 6:45 in the morning!]

Then our exhibits intern, who is an art student and really really good at what he does comes up with this Santa's Workshop door. Usually these doors are just white and plain and kind of dinged up, but he wrapped them in butcher paper and drew on the wood grain which is a skill I don't have access too. He also took copies of photos from our collections and put little hats on them. He actually put a bunch of lights up too after I took this picture. I think his door is great, but the sad thing is, now no one else wants to put up a door because they think his is too good. I was the first person with a door up, otherwise I might be overwhelmed too.

Now, every time I try to talk up how great my door is (because I think it is great, and because staff will be voting on the winner), all I hear is how great that other door is. It is pretty darn nice, but I think mine has heart! Plus I didn't even want to do the contest anyway but somehow I did and now that I did it I want to win! So what I'm saying is, please secure jobs at my work and vote for my door later this month. Thank you.

1 comment:

Mary P. said...

I think yours should win because it incorporates your department into the holiday spirit. I mean, I really don't think Santa's workshop is located in TX. Come on.