Monday, December 04, 2006

All Ears

I'm getting behind on my book posting, and a pile is starting to build up next to the computer. So, even though I read this guy like two weeks ago, I'll add it to the book list -- All Ears: Cultural Criticism, Essays and Obituaries by Dennis Cooper (1999).

This was, I believe, the only one of Dennis Cooper's books that I hadn't already read. He is an author that I really like, but before I'd pretty much only read his fiction, so I was interested to see what this collection of essays (mostly reprinted from magazines) would be like.

Naturally, since Cooper is an interesting and creative writer, these were all interesting and creative articles and interviews. Because the essays were all written for specific magazines and audiences, they really take you back to the 1990s, for better or for worse. There is even a really nice little interview with a young Keanu Reeves (who I generally don't like), where he comes off very sweet and kind of naive and genuine.

So, if you like Cooper, or music, or the 1990s, or Keanu, then you should probably read this book.

[I should really write these things when my reading of the book is a bit more fresh...]

No comments: