Saturday, December 16, 2006

Watch it

I bought myself this new watch as a special present with a small part of the big check I got when I cashed in my unused vacation from my last job (I had a little over three weeks, so it was almost a whole other paycheck! Yay!). My last three watches have been $9.99 watches from Walgreen's, and when their batteries ran out, I just got another $9.99 watch. They were all fine and served me well. Before that I had (and still have) a pretty nice watch I got for Christmas seven or eight years ago. I even replaced the band on it once, and replaced the battery twice. But then the battery ran out and somehow it was easier to buy a cheap watch from Walgreen's than to go somewhere and have the battery replaced. The thing about me is, I hate stores and errands, and anything I can do to avoid going to an inconvenient store I will do.

Now this watch is a fancy Citizen Eco-Drive watch that runs off of the ambient light it absorbs through its face. The idea is that the battery never needs to be replaced. It is a wonder watch, and even if it only lasts nine years, I'll have invested the same amount as nine Walgreen's watches. Plus it looks prettier.

Since I bought it off Amazon instead of at a jewelers (again, don't like to go to stores), the band is pretty big for my ridiculously wimpy wrist. Knowing me, however, I will just let it dangle for years before somehow accidentally being in a mall and thinking to ask someone at a jewelry counter to take out a few links. I think my watch will fit properly sometime around 2010.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Neato.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, very pretty. I love the idea of a watch that runs off ambient light.
I hate shopping, too. I prefer to buy ill-fitting clothes off ebay than go to a store. I had to go to the mall about a month ago and could not get out fast enough.

casual ninja said...

the secret for loose fitting watchbands is to chubby up.