Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Somersaults

How long has it been since you did a somersault? I'm guessing I hadn't done one for at least 15 years, and probably more like 20, so I busted one out this weekend. It kind of hurt my head and my back, but it was still kind of fun. I think I'm going to work them into my regular repertoire of things to do when I'm bored. I never have been able to really do a cartwheel, though.

[And I have always called those roll-over moves where you put your head on the ground and roll onto your back with your legs going over your head a somersault. But Wikipedia says somersaults are done up in the air. Who is right here? In addition, if you keep typing somersault, it will start to look really weird. Somersault.]

2 comments:

Angela said...

I think you're right, my friend. It looks to me like the Wikipedians are trying to avoid plagiarizing dictionary.com outright (which defines a somersault as an "acrobatic movement, either forward or backward, in which the body rolls end over end, making a complete revolution").

In gymnastics, it was a "flip" if your body left the ground and a "roll" if it didn't.

This reminds me of a couple weeks ago, when I fell. I tripped and fell, backwards, all the way onto the ground. I was totally giggling as I was falling down, thinking, "Oh my god, when's the last time I fell?"

The length of this comment should give you important insight into why I don't usually comment on blogs. The end!

Anonymous said...

I like Angela comments.

I always called the ground roll a somersault. I like to try to do them in mid-stride, then get up and keep walking. It doesn't work very well.