Saturday, January 12, 2008

I wish I had a Tik-Tok...

I know I sort of posted about this before, but I just watched Return to Oz (d. Walter Murch, 1985) for the first time since I was a kid and I'm all giddy about it.

Every one of the millions of people who love the Wizard of Oz should see this movie. It didn't do well when it was released because most people were expecting it to be a straight sequel to the Judy Garland movie. Instead, Murch gives us a film that is much darker, closer to the original books, and much more like one of the original Grimm's fairy tales than the beautiful story book of the earlier film. The special effects hold up wonderfully -- all puppets and animatronics, some done by Jim Henson's son Brian. They have a warmth and character to them that can't be replicated by CGI. I don't think I'm just being nostalgic here...

One of the best characters in the film is Tik-Tok, the mechanical man who talks with his moustache, has to be wound up constantly, and defends Dorothy with every ounce of his mechanical mind and body. He is simultaneously hilarious, brave, and really sweet. I really do wish I had a Tik-Tok of my own.

One of the reasons I liked this movie so much as a child, and why I think it is still a great film for children today is that Dorothy gets into truly dangerous and scary situations, and through her own power and the support of her goofy group of followers, she solves problems and rescues herself. Plus it is fun to get freaked out when you are a kid. Actually, it is still fun to get freaked out as an adult...

Little Kristy thought this was one of the freakiest scenes in the movie (excepting, of course, those super-freaky Wheelers):


Seriously, rent this at your next opportunity. And buy it for all the young boys and girls in your life. You won't be disappointed.

[If you are interested in seeing how all the puppets and robots work, check out this twenty minute behind the scenes documentary made on the set -- the dude who had to fold himself in half to play Tik-Tok must have had some major dedication...]

1 comment:

chewtastic said...

fuck this movie. me and my brother went to see it in the theater when it came out, and we left when i started screaming because of the scary-ass wheelers. no way dude.