Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Cold Snap

This weekend I finished up my latest randomly-generated book-choice (another one of Josh's books), Cold Snap by Thom Jones (1995). This collection of short stories was wonderful. It is Jones' second book, the first one, The Pugilist at Rest, has been loaned out to some mysterious person (do you have it, Nick?) and the third one is in Josh's to-be-read pile. None of the stories in this collection are directly connected, but many of them pick up on themes and situations from the others, including: being a doctor in Africa, just being in Africa, diabetes, boxing, manic depressives (mostly the mania part), and drugs. One also features a sometimes-drunken orangutan as a crucial character. Not a bad combination, eh?

It's hard for me to describe what it is I like about good fiction, particularly good short stories, so I'll just say: read this, it is great.

3 comments:

Plop Blop said...

I don't have it suckas! I wish that I did because I would then proceed to read it. It sounds like good stuff.

Josh Krauter said...

That means either Katie or Mom has it. I'll send some badasses out to collect it, post-haste.

Chas Chesterfield Esq. said...

Thom Jones is fantastic. You inhabit a unique world through his stories. If you haven't read all his stuff, you should.