Friday, August 25, 2006

Help! I'm a computer!

When I was seven or eight -- way before we got cute little Apple computers at school, my dad bought the family a Commodore VIC-20. This was the first relatively inexpensive color home computer, and my dad is a fiddler who likes new gadgets, so he jumped on it. We liked that it came with awesome games like pseudo-Pong, pseudo-Asteroids, and the very strange "Vic Biorhythms" program which would use your birthdate to analyze your biorhythms for the week. The games came on cassette tapes that hooked into the keyboard/processor which hooked into our TV. Perfect.

But the best part was the book of BASIC programs that came with the computer. My sisters and I would spend hours typing in lines and lines of code to come up with something like a white ball bouncing around a blue screen or the words "Hello Kristy, how are you?" scrolling endlessly across the TV. Totally worth it.

And of course, if William Shatner is advertising something, you know it is a high-quality educational product:


And watch the VIC-20 in action here!

[P.S. I am now excited about biorhythms! I just got my daily reading here and found out that I am 10861 days old and that my "emotional" rhythm is at -50%, but raising. That actually explains a lot.]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh dear lord.
i just checked my bio rythms and i am at or almost at -100% for every category this whole week. am i going to die?
is it because i, too, am in love with dave grohl?

Anonymous said...

rhythms, i meant...

Spacebeer said...

Rhythms is something I can't even come close to spelling without looking it up. Much like recipe or unfortunately.

Sunni said...

we had the same exact computer! I remember playing some game on it that had no graphics - it just described your surroundings and you had to type in commands. Veeeeery frustrating.