Saturday, September 08, 2007

Alice in Email-land

This week I finished reading Alice's Adventures in Wonderland in 37 sections, delivered to me via e-mail, upon a timeline of my choosing (which was one installment a day) -- all thanks to the fantastic innovation of dailylit, a site with hundred of public domain books all neatly split up into bite sized bits for your reading pleasure. Think you have no time to read? How often do you check your email? Do you have two minutes a day to devote to slowly ingesting some great text? I think that you do.

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is, of course, totally great. And really well suited to this delivery format. I hadn't read it since I was a kid, and it was, in many ways, quite a bit weirder than I had remembered. I love Alice and her fearless acceptance of the weird goings on in Wonderland. The only thing I missed by reading this online were the wonderful illustrations, but, of course, those are available online too. What can't the Internet do?

[I'm reading Henry James' The Turn of the Screw in 50 installments next...]

No comments: