Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Fun games for all!

Last night Josh and I were talking about our childhoods and the games we used to like to play. It quickly became apparent that I am very boring.

My top games, besides making clothes for Barbies from scarves and making forts out of couch pillows in the basement:

1. Folding the laundry while pretending that it was my job to fold the laundry really well. I would try to get my sister to play this with me and then get irritated when she didn't fold it well enough. Update: I don't let Josh fold the laundry either.

2. When my cousins would come over to visit (we had three girl cousins that were the same ages and me and my two sisters), I would constantly try to get everyone to play this game I made up where each of us would sit in a room by ourselves with a notepad and write a story about an imaginary place that we would pretend was in that room. Then later we were supposed to get together and share our stories. For some reason, no one ever wanted to play this game except me.

3. Organization. That's right, when I was a kid I made up a game called organization where I would, you know, organize things. I would actually make the suggestion to my sisters that we "play organization." They never wanted to.

4. My sister and I would put a big paper grocery sack on the ground between us and cut pieces of junk mail and scrap paper up into little tiny pieces of confetti. We would pretend that it was our job, and say things like "I hope we get a lunch break soon." I could actually get my sister Jill to play this one with me sometimes. We would rarely take the obvious step of throwing the confetti around the room because I would always want to save it and see if later we could cut more and fill up the whole bag. Occasionally I would agree to putting some of the confetti in a shoe box to balance on a slightly open door so that our littlest sister Hilary would get a head full of confetti when she came into the room.

Feel free to break any of these games out at your next party...

4 comments:

Mary P. said...

i love it!

Plop Blop said...

I think that some of your games are quietly, wonderfully insane, no offense.

casual ninja said...

oddly enough, while home over break i recalled with some chagrin and curious fascination my childhood interest in organizing things like kitchen cabinets and linen closets. i didn't think of it as a game, but it seemed like a perfectly reasonable way for a 10 year old girl to spend an afternoon.

what the fuck was i doing?

also, i really enjoy the thought of you and jill playing the confetti game. but recently. like after christmas this year you both sat around and cut up the wrapping paper, wishing for someone to relieve your shift for lunch.

Old Stallion said...

I tried playing your folding the clothes game, but I kept losing. Goddamn these games.