Monday, January 23, 2006

Take it easy

This weekend I blasted through the sixth of Walter Mosley's Easy Rawlins books, Gone Fishin', courtesy of a loan by the gracious and hospitable tjd. This is the first of Mosley's books that I've read, although I saw the movie of "Devil in a Blue Dress" with Denzel Washington, and thought it was pretty great. (And while this book was not Devil in a Blue Dress and it isn't always fair to picture actors when you are reading a book, you all have to admit that Denzel is looking pretty good up there in his role as Easy Rawlins....) After reading Gone Fishin', I'd like to dig into some more of Mosley's books, and lucky for me, this one is actually a super-prequel that jumps back to when Easy and Mouse were just teenagers. It is really more of a coming of age story than a mystery novel, but it is so well written and engaging that I didn't miss the mystery one bit.

No comments: