Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Unjust Boots

Yesterday, after a really long day at work, I escaped from the building and walked out to my car. On it, I found a giant orange boot and a big notice telling me I was a non-paying deadbeat. The thing is, I've never ever had a ticket on this car. Not one. I called the University parking folks and the lady told me I have over a hundred dollars of unpaid tickets. Not so, I say. I bet those were from the previous owner, as the University ties these to the license number and these plates came with the car when I bought it in March. The lady didn't know. She gave me a bit of the run around but eventually sent a surly dude to come take the boot off. Of course this made me cry, but luckily I had oversized sunglasses on and no one saw. The thing is, I am totally a good girl and if I got a ticket (which I probably wouldn't ever get), I would pay it right away. And I hate being in trouble, even when it isn't my fault.

There is a happy ending though:

I went home and wrote an appeal to the parking dudes, and this morning when I got to work I see that two guys worked on the problem and figured something out (its complicated, but they took the tickets off my name, kept them on the previous owners name, and although my plate number will still trigger a boot call by the university police, when they call in the dispatcher will tell them that I am "unbootable.") That is the word they used. Unbootable, ya'll.

Unless I get my own tickets, of course.

3 comments:

amanda said...

i woke up this morning to find a parking citation on my car that said, "well tow your car." it was bad enough to get a nasty yellow notice, but the spelling? did they have to make it worse?

Josh Krauter said...

I knew you were unbootable since the day we met.

carrie said...

that's so sad! they really should figure out a different way to track tickets. i hate them anyway. i had to go get a new permit today and i had to wait in line for 30 minutes! at 2pm. between semesters! where is the customer service in that damn office?