Saturday, March 04, 2006

Anyone. Anyone.

Another one to add to the "movies that I loved when I was a kid and are still good" pile: Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Some things I didn't really notice when I was a kid:

1. No one says fuck, but people call each other "dickhead" and "shithead" way more than they do in real life. And I think I need to start saying "dickhead" more often.

2. Ferris is really an asshole. He is filled with a sense of entitlement, and he gets away with everything even though he doesn't deserve to. He is also a total dickhead to Cameron. His sister Jeanie is really the only completely likeable character in the whole movie. But when I was a kid, I thought Ferris was one-hundred percent great.

3. The parade scene is so weird. I thought it was bizarre when I was a kid too, but it is really beyond that. Very strange and very hilarious.

4. Matthew Broderick is still my secret boyfriend.

5. The girlfriend from this movie (Mia Sara) was married to Sean Connery's son for several years. And she also dated Jim Henson's son. Weird.

6. A wonderful Charlie Sheen cameo as a guy Jeanie talks to at the police station, including the following dialogue:

Boy in Police Station: Drugs?
Jeannie: Thank you, no. I'm straight.
Boy in Police Station: I meant, are you in here for drugs?
Jeannie: Why are you here?
Boy in Police Station: Drugs.

Charlie Sheen has some comic timing, everybody.

1 comment:

Rustle said...

Word has it, that to get into the character of 'boy in police station', Charlie Sheen tapped his thespian skills in a very methodical way seldom used by most actors: he stayed awake for three days.

True story.

I always had a crush on Jennifer Gray, pre-nose job, until I realized she was in Dirty Dancing.