Thursday, March 09, 2006

I've got Sole

I haven't bought a new pair of tennis shoes since junior high, and those pretty much lived in my gym locker until I graduated from high school and wasn't forced to run around in shorts, a crappy t-shirt and gym shoes for a few hours every week. But something about these super green tennies made me want to buy them. They make my feet a little hot, but I'm growing to really like them. I feel like if I had to run somewhere, I could probably do it in these shoes.

The thing is, I used to hardly ever buy shoes at all. All through college and until about two years ago, I would always just have two pairs of shoes: one closed toe regular shoe and one pair of sandals. I would buy new shoes every other year or so (usually Birkenstocks) and just wear them until they fell apart. But something happened and now I own an unheard of ten pairs of shoes. [How many pairs do other people have?] And I still don't have a good everyday pair of neutral shoes that I like, so I'm thinking about buying another pair. Part of this has to do with being "professional." I needed at least one pair of dress shoes to wear for business type occasions (I've got two of those). I bought one of the pairs for my wedding. My mom gave me one pair. And on and on and on....

Pretty soon I'm going to have to get a shoe rack. And some shoe horns. And other shoe accessories. When will it end?

I think I'm going to need a shoe intervention, folks.

4 comments:

Joolie said...

Damn. Those are extremely nice. I especially like the houndstooth trim.

I just counted, and I was surprised to learn I have 17 pairs of shoes, including three pairs of black Converse One-Stars in varying states of decay. So I think having 10 is perfectly reasonable.

Anonymous said...

How are you possibly wearing 10 shoes at once? Are you out of your goddam mind?

Mary P. from PrettyGoodThings.com said...

25 pairs. And I still think I need more.

kristykay said...

i am totally out of my goddam mind, ya'll.