Monday, March 06, 2006

My memo to the Academy

I know lots of people hate awards ceremonies, and really hate the Oscars. It is true that they are really long, the speeches are generally boring, and the whole patting each other on the back because Hollywood is so great aspect of them is a little nauseating. Still, I love to watch the Oscars. It's like some kind of national holiday around here. We load up on beers and bourbon, get into our comfy clothes, sit on the bed, and watch celebrities walk around on the tv for four or five hours. It's great!

And now, because I'm in a listy mood, here is a list of Oscar thoughts:

1. I wish they would bring back the dance numbers they used to have. I loved those goofy things. The weirdo slow-motion mime vignettes during two of the song performances this year do not count. Although watching people interpretive dance their escape from a burning car and the life of a pimp, respectively, was pretty cool.

2. More people need to wear outrageous dresses, or it isn't any fun to point at the fashions. This year the only really weird one was Charlize Theron's bow. Lets take some more fashion risks here, people.

3. Keanu Reeves looked kind of vague and weird to me. Josh thinks I'm crazy. But didn't he?. He looks like a guy that sort of looks like Keanu Reeves.

4. Apparently Gary Busey was there. I think they should have included more of him in the broadcast to pepper things up a notch.

5. Jon Stewart was pretty good. Vaguely funny. I did like the political ads for the Oscar nominees...

6. Any award ceremony involving Dolly Parton is good with me.

7. The celebrity death sequence should have been longer, as that is my favorite part.

8. Robert Altman gave a lovely speech, although I kind of wished he would have stuck it to the Academy at least a teensy bit.

9. It makes me sad when a group of people are accepting an award, one person talks, and they cut everyone else in the group off. At least let them say "hi mom" or thank jesus or something...

10. Jack Nicholson apparently gets a front row seat to the Oscars every year because makes for a good reaction shot.

4 comments:

Traci Drummond said...

being that i love keanu reeves more than anybody i know, i will weigh in on the keanu reeves comment. i agree. maybe he gained a little weight? i hate to say it, but maybe a little botox or something...his face just wasn't moving right. let's chalk it up to weight. to see keanu at his on-screen heaviest, watch _the last time i committed suicide_, an indie about neal cassidy (played by thomas jane, who favors action movies now). john doe has a bit part.

steigrrr said...

1. i recently received a bottle of veuve clicquot as a gift and almost opened it in honor of watching the oscars. i settled for beers instead, as i had to watch in between doing some boring work, so it wasn't so much of an event. but i, too, adore watching the oscars (and inexplicably so, as they represent so many things i hate).

2. yes, keanu looked weird. i also thought maybe botox or plastic surgery, but i would not let myself entertain that possibility for long, as i love keanu, too. perhaps he is ill, and that's why he looks odd?

3. more love: altman. i enjoyed the story about the heart transplant, but was waiting for something a little more caustic, as well. i also couldn't help but think about this story i heard recently involving altman's supposedly legendary possession of the most potent weed in show business.

4. philip seymour hoffman gave a sweet speech, i thought. i was able to forgive him the fact that i recently heard he counts tom cruise as a close friend. but i was disappointed he did not bark his acceptance speech, as he apparently had made a pact with some friends when he was a teenager that if any one of them ever won the oscar he would bark the speech until he was dragged off stage. i would have married him if he had done that.

5. lauren bacall is still remarkably beautiful, but she sure was struggling with the teleprompter.

6. i love catherine keener and frances mcdormand. they are my heroes.

7. i think ang lee is great, and he's usually so apparently genuine and humble, etc. but i heard him complain after the ceremony about the movie not having won best picture. i couldn't decide if i admired him for being so honestly less than gracious, or if i was totally disgusted by the fact that he won an oscar and was upset about not winning more. jeezus, man, you make movies for a living! isn't that enough of a reward right there?

wow, my list is even longer than yours!

Spacebeer said...

Lauren Bacall is one of my favorites ever, and the Film Noir montage was one of the best montages of the night, but yes: get a large print teleprompter, Oscar planners. Maybe she missed the dress rehearsal or something...

Mary P. said...

1. Totally! The pimp song was AWESOME. Really much more of a musical than rap song. Nice touch at the end.

2. Totally! Charlize won for the crazy fashion bow. Some reviewers didn't like it . . . but there was a shot of her in the audience and I thought, well, I wouldn't want to be behind her. DIdn't Ms.Thurman look divine? I love her.

3. Agreed, Keanu enough with the illness/botox/puffy self. His eyes looked a little tiny in that photo. Maybe he should start a low sodium diet.

4)Yipes!

5)John made me feel strange sometimes. I liked when was enthusiastic about 36 mafia people and others being the most excited. Everyone else was like, oh gosh my fellow nominees....tears, puke, puke, I am so great, pukey more puke.

6) Shoot! the song was on itunes FOR FREE! I should have told you. I'll have to teach you my dance to 9-5 sometime. Its awesome.

7)Speaking of death...

8) I think everyone was ready for Altman to say he's got cancer or something....at least i was.

9) I think those people are chumps.

10) That's what nick said! I think it was on dolly's song they gave a great shot of him, glasses and eyebrows, smiling and clapping with the beat. Very awkward but charming.