Thursday, March 30, 2006

Steamy situations

One thing about me is that I'm really good at straightening, I rock at organizing, and I get top ratings in general cleaning activities like doing the dishes and making the bed. What I'm not that great at is really cleaning. Like scrubbing the toilet, cleaning the shower, vacuuming, and the worst ever: mopping the floors. In general, I don't even notice when the floors get dirty. Josh does most of the vacuuming around here because he is the one that sees the dirt on the floor. I just float above it and concentrate on alphabetizing my spices or resorting my books by sub-topic.

Occasionally, though (like when we have a houseguest, or people come over), these cleaning tasks must be done. What could possibly make cleaning the floor more fun? Steam!

My sister got me this Enviro Steamer for a wedding present (just the regular one, not the "deluxe" edition pictured above), and I just love it to death. All you do is put some water into it, put a reusable cloth pad on the bottom, plug it in, let it heat up, and then blast your hard floors with steam! You do have to sweep first (which would be much easier for me if we hadn't broken our broom years ago while trying to kill a roach so now it doesn't have a handle but I still use the head of it to sweep instead of going and buying a new broom), but the steamer cleans up most dirt and stains and it claims to also kill nasty bacteria. I don't know if the claims are true, but I'd rather kill bacteria with superheated water than icky chemicals that smell if I have that option.

I'd also like to point out that the Enviro Steamer makes awesome steam poof sounds while you use it that really make you feel like you're doing something.

Now if only someone would find a way to make cleaning the mildew in the shower fun, I would be all set. If you have any tips, let me know as I plan to tackle the shower of grime later this evening. Bleh.

2 comments:

Mary P. said...

Hurrah! I love the same cleaning you do. We don't have any fancy steamer - though someday...someday. I too hate the mildew but I love vacuuming. Nick doesn't seem to mind any dirt. Which makes it hard to share the housework. boo.

I have to say I was excited to read this entry...it helps to know that there are others out there.

Spacebeer said...

The shower ejaculator both fascinates and scares me....