Saturday, May 27, 2006

Sure could use a smoke

Have you seen John Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13 (1976)? If not, I think you should run out and rent it right now. Don't go rent the Ethan Hawke version (which, honestly, I haven't seen. So maybe its good, but my money is on "probably it's not good"). I love that this movie is a suspense, shoot-em-up kind of non-supernatural thriller, and yet for most of the film it plays exactly like a zombie movie.

It is also a pretty clever re-working of Howard Hawk's Rio Bravo (1959). And doesn't everyone love clever re-workings? I certainly do.

Beyond all that, the movie has a great lady with a gun, an insanely awesome foreign poster (why is he holding a meathook?!), and a whole series of awesome lines. The best one in the movie is Kathy's "I wanted vanilla twist. (thwap)", but if you haven't seen it yet, I'm not going to tell you why.

No comments: