Monday, July 24, 2006

Everyone is Open!

I'm trying to get my head around the seemingly-sudden onslaught of businesses using this poorly photographed Open sign (and I am way too lazy to walk down the street and take a non-out-the-car-window super-zoomed-moving picture of it, so just squint your eyes a bit and you'll get the idea). I noticed the sign one day at the convenience store by my house. A bit later, the same sign showed up at Toy Joy. Then the sign appeared on the slightly creepy Sno-Cone stand in the parking lot of a pawn shop on Guadalupe. It also graces the front of the new location of The Parlor on Guadalupe. Finally, it is on some new restaurant called something like Moe's Southwest Grill down by campus (sadly, not pictured -- oncoming traffic got in the way of my car window shot). Was there some kind of super discount on this sign? Did a door-to-door sign salesman hit up all the businesses in my area? Are these signs actually aliens that are going to take over the planet from store-front windows?

Oddly enough, I seriously just spent 20 minutes searching on the Internet for a site that sells this particular type of open sign and I could not find a single one. Tons of shops sell another popular Open Sign in my neighborhood (pictured at right). It is sometimes known as the "Disco Swirl" and sometimes as the "Economy Open Sign." So why can't I find the green oval beauty? Where are they all coming from? How many more of them are there?

Now that I have started to notice them, I can't stop looking for them everywhere I go. Please survey your neighborhoods and let me know how far this madness extends.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are scaring me. I'm beginning to think they are something more than just "open" signs. Something dark. Something menacing. something that will compel me to shop when I should be sleeping just because I know where there's a store that's "open."

casual ninja said...

i noticed the green oval open sign at the deli i visit almost every workday for lunch. i had never noticed it before and it really creeped me out that i hadn't. is this some sign that they are trafficking in something other than lunchmeats? what is going on?

carrie said...

everyone in my neighborhood has the 'economy' sign. i guess that's because i'm in the inexpensive way south austin :)