Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Kid Dreams

Josh and I were having a discussion this weekend about recurring dreams we had when we were little kids. The only one I could remember was this kind of strange dream from when I was three or four where I was standing in a cul-de-sac in some strange neighborhood and this little boy was riding a tricycle around the circle. We wouldn't say anything, I'’d just watch him ride for awhile and then wake up. I remember having that dream a bunch of times in a row.

This discussion, however, brought back the memory of another dream I had as a kid that I always wanted to recur, but it never really did. In this dream I went into our backyard and found a tiny little house that looked kind of like a regular house, but was the size of a playhouse. I went into it and poked around and eventually found a secret passage that went into this huge underground apartment that only I knew about. I spent a bunch of time poking around in my secret apartment and then sat on the couch and read a book.

Man, I loved that dream. Josh pointed out that it was a little goofy to have a whole secret grown-up underground apartment and then just sit on the couch and read. Which is true, since its not like my parents didn't let me sit on their couch and read in the regular house. Still, it was the perfect thing to do and I stand by my childhood dream decision.

After I had that dream I would lay in bed thinking of my secret tiny house and underground apartment every night to try to get myself to dream it again. It hasn't worked yet, but I think I'm going to start trying again tonight.

2 comments:

casual ninja said...

if you had invited your sisters into the secret apartment you could have played your cleaning and organizing games there. that would have made a lot of sense too.

Spacebeer said...

The apartment was extremely well-organized, so it is possible that I played this game in an earlier, unremembered dream...