Friday, October 14, 2005

The DBs

Joolie's post about douchebags (and accompanying awesome illustration) reminded me of the very first time I ever heard the word "douchebag." I was a young junior high girl and after some kind of theatre set building evening at school, me and a few friends went to the local Village Inn (which is kind of like a Perkins or a Denny's, I don't think they have them in Texas). As was our usual custom, we ordered bottomless pots of coffee and one order of french fries with a side of brown gravy for the whole table. We then proceeded to stay in the restaurant for 2 or 3 hours on our three dollar check and be pretty obnoxious as you might imagine a booth full of junior high theatre dorks with bottomless cups of coffee and nowhere to go could be.

After we really made a mess of the table by playing tricks with the creamers and making weird beverage concoctions out of sugar packets, ketchup, and ice cubes, the manager came over and told us to cool it or else we'd have to leave. We said sorry and after he left started giggling a bit, then the guy at the booth behind us turns around, leans in toward our table and loudly says "Man, what a douchebag!" We then broke into unadulterated pure junior high giggle fits and really did have to leave the restaurant, but on our own volition in order to get away from the "douchebag" guy so we could really really start laughing.

Douchebag. It still makes me giggle...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, you sure were a douchebag! Seriously, Junior High drama?

Josh Krauter said...

Man, anonymous, you sure are a douchebag! Seriously, were you cool in junior high?

Anonymous said...

Hail no I wasn't cool, I was just a mean drunk last night. I apologize if anyone was offended. It's hard to get sarcasm across without hand jestures.

:junebug

Spacebeer said...

No offense here because, honestly, I was kind of a junior-high douchebag. But in a cool way. Kind of just like I am now...

Josh Krauter said...

Yeah, no offense. I would have picked up the hand gestures if you'd signed your name. I always forget about the sarcasm in print thing, too, leading to situations like that guy thinking I really did want to punch him in the face.