Monday, July 30, 2007

Hawey Podda

I just realized that, although I have come up with many a Harry Potter related post in the past week or so, I never did write up what I thought of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (2007). And since it is my personal quest to write a little something about every book I read, it must be done.

Of course, you can't really write about this last book in the series without writing about the series as a whole: I really liked this series. Isn't that crazy? No, I guess not, since practically every human on earth is either reading the books, watching the movies, or both. And because I can't succinctly verbalize exactly what it is I like about these books, and because I don't want to give away any plot details for those who haven't read it, I'll just blurt out some observations here. All stream-of-consciousness blog-style:

I like that the world has another really great children's series to latch onto. And I like that the characters, the plots, and the whole Harry-Potter-Universe actually do grow, deepen, complicate and change as the books progress. I love series. I love really long books. I love good and evil and sacrifice. I like all the descriptions of the everyday life of wizards and witches. I like that Rowling doesn't recap everything that happened in previous books. I love Neville. The movies are nice as reminders of the books, but they aren't nearly as great as the books themselves. The ending of the series is satisfying. I like having things both ways. I like that there is one real cuss in the series (that I counted, anyway). I love the battles. I kind of love Snape, even though I sometimes hate him (although I love Alan Rickman -- why isn't there more Snape in the movies?) I like that some characters really die. I love reading. I love that friends loaned me every volume of this series except the first one, as I don't have room for all these gigantic books in my house.

I love Harry Potter!

No comments: