Thursday, September 15, 2005

Strange Days

Usually my mornings are completely completely ordinary – I take the same bus at the same time, walk the same route to campus, and see the same people and things.

This morning, however, was rather strange.

First off I was really in a daze all morning because I was deep in a dream when my alarm went off. That makes everything seem very surreal and difficult anyway.

Then, while I was waiting for my bus, the blind man who usually waits for the bus on the other side of the street came tapping by like he does every morning. After he crossed the street however, he got a little turned around trying to avoid this woman who was walking her dog (and who didn’t reign it in – that is a big pet peeve of mine: people who walk their dogs should have some consideration for those who don’t want to be sniffed by strange dogs in the dark at 6:15 in the morning, especially if those people happen to be blind and can’t even see you and your dog). I could tell he was having trouble getting his bearings, so I asked him if he needed help and was able to talk him back into position. While I was doing that, I almost missed my bus, had to dash across the street, grab my bag and mug and jump on.

Instead of my usual small bus (the one that only has one door), we somehow scored one of the new giant busses with the red push buttons to request stops instead of the pull strings. I love those new busses, but it was disorienting to be on one this particular morning.

On my way up to work after the bus dropped me off, this old man stopped me to ask what time it was, and if I knew when the airport shuttle stopped by. Amazingly I did, even though I never take that shuttle. Old guy was made happy.

I also saw a bunch of ROTC dudes running in camoflauge with big backpacks on (no chants or howls this time), and a gigantic possum, and I almost got hit with a dump truck.

All this before seven in the morning. I think I’m pretty much done for the day….

No comments: