Monday, November 28, 2005

Neligh Namechecked

I had a very productive long weekend, reading-wise. Not only did I blast through five magazines in my increasingly out-of-control magazine pile, but I also managed to read Nebraska, a book short stories by Ron Hansen. Josh read this a couple of years ago and really liked it, so it had been on my radar for some time. I expected that I would enjoy it, particularly since I'm from Eastern Nebraska, just like Hansen, and the towns and scenery and people that I know are featured throughout the book. I ended up really really liking the book, however, and not just because familiar rivers and cities popped up every couple of pages. The stories are generally ambiguous and dark, and sometimes kind of sad or happy in the regular way that life is. They take place across a 100 year period -- as early as the big blizzard of 1888 (maybe my favorite story in the book), and as late as the late 1980s when the book was published. They include historical-fiction, ghost stories, 1940s gangsters, and old dudes who play golf. Plus Hansen is a nice Danish dude from Omaha, and who wouldn't like that. Thumbs up on this one.

1 comment:

casual ninja said...

friendster told me it's your birthday. i am going to be up all night writing a damn paper and i asked myself, what's better than doing this? wishing kristy a happy damn birthday, that's what. now i understand all of those subtle kiwi paper hints. what great gifts indeed...