Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Everything's coming up Kristy

While there may occasionally be some minor downsides to having an unemployed husband, one of the many silver linings is that the employed wife does not have to go to the grocery store, figure out what to buy, or cook dinner. I actually kind of like cooking dinner, but I hate making the list and I hate hate hate going to the grocery store.

So, the first thing that comes into my mind when dear Dr. Mystery tells me he is going to be working a temp job three days this week was that one of those days was grocery day. And that means I would have to go to the grocery store.

I can honestly say I haven't been to the grocery store, except to run in and buy beer or tampons, more than four times in the past 14 months. That is a pretty good run. I've cooked dinner (besides instant soup or sandwiches or noodles with cheese) maybe five times. I have been a very spoiled lady.

This week, that all changes: I made the list, I just got back from the store, and tonight there will be honey-hoisin pork tenderloin with sesame seeds on the dinner table when my working man gets home. And, even though I was dreading it, the grocery store actually wasn't that bad. I even had the amazing luck of missing a giant rainstorm while I was in the store and not getting my groceries all wet when I took them to the car.

All that and I even had time to figure out our taxes this afternoon. Another benefit of an unemployed husband: bigger tax return.

Now I've got to start marinating my tenderloin.