Monday, May 09, 2005

Only humans have asses

Perhaps you might think that I haven't even had time to read anything over the past week, what with all my attention being focused on the bathroom fixtures of the world. And you would be wrong. Because, my dudes, I read all the damn time.

This week, I finished Adam's Navel: A Natural and Cultural History of the Human Form by Michael Sims. I bought this book from the Daedalus Books catalog on a whim. The description sounded kind of neat, it was only four bucks, and I have a weakness for buying books. I thought it might be interesting, but wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did.

Sims takes the reader on a tour of the exterior of the human body, from the hair on the top of your head to your toenails. Each part brings in literature, film, etymology, evolution, science, history, and about a billion other things in a kind of extended meditation on body parts. I came out of it with about a million exciting fun-facts about body parts. It also makes one really think about the human form, how it got to be that way, and all the weird things humans have thought to do with it throughout history.

So borrow this book from me, or go get your own copy since people are selling used ones for 85 cents. You will like it. I swear.

No comments: