Friday, September 08, 2006

Port it, Don't Pot it

Do you all realize that my very trustworthy current favorite morning anchorman, Fred Cantu, told me that 40,000 Buckeye fans are coming to Austin this weekend for the football game tomorrow? 40,000? I find that to be a ridiculous number. In addition, there is no way in hell I am leaving my house tomorrow night. Crazed. Since my sister lives right near campus in Columbus, I have heard stories and witnessed events that speak to the craziness of these OSU fans. Longhorn fans also have a tendency to get riled, and while I'm curious to see what happens when you add column A with column B, I don't think I'm going to hang around and find out.

My other theory is that the only OSU fans who can take a weekend off to fly and/or drive down here and get a hotel room and all that other stuff are the older alumni that I saw driving their RVs and walking around outside my building all day doing wholesome things like visiting the LBJ Presidential Library. These folks will probably be fine, open doors for ladies, go to bed right after the game after clapping politely, and let you pass them while driving. If Ohio can rustle up 40,000 of those type of fans, I have no complaints. As long as they don't go to the grocery store or any of the restaurants I may want to visit this weekend.

Finally, let me tell you about port-a-potties. Every time there is a home game, the UT facilities folks drop off port-a-potties all around campus for tailgaters and other fans to utilize instead of peeing behind trees and in the parking lots. Usually they drop four of those bad boys right in front of my window at work. This kind of ruins the view, and is particularly gross if they decide to leave them out for an extra week when there are two home game weekends in a row.

And yet, even though we had a game last week, the facilities dudes picked up and (apparently) cleaned the pots, and when they brought them back they placed them all the way on the other side of the parking lot. Wonderous! This makes me hate football slightly less.

[And let me also mention that the photo above was found on some slightly odd trying-to-be-hip church youth group site. The caption: "Stuck in a Porta-Potty."]

1 comment:

Rustle said...

Note the white boy in back with the dreads! Goes to show you, white guys with dreadlocks are either crazy balls about hardcore drugs or are crazy about the JC.