Thursday, January 11, 2007

The silver box

Since we got an exciting 80 GB Ipod for Christmas, I have been spending a lot of my time and money on purchasing and figuring out different cables, cords, chargers, and my latest and greatest purchase, a 320GB external hard drive that was, for some reason, designed by F.A. Porsche.

The design is nice, don't get me wrong, but isn't it just a little silver box? Kind of minimalist, right? I'm pretty sure that this would be the first design for an external hard drive that I would come up with if I had never seen a hard drive before and wanted to come up with the most basic thing. Is that what we should expect from "one of the leading luxury brands in the high-quality men’s accessories business" (according to their website)? I'm thinking maybe they could at least have put some flame decals on the side of it, or given it a little hat or a scarf or something. [Note: this is why I'm not asked to design products.]

Design questions aside, I am very pleased with my hard drive -- and since my whole computer is only 80GB, I really needed a little extra burst of storage to hold our entire CD collection plus any other songs that find their way onto our computer. And, you know, backups. I'll get around to those some day.

No comments: