Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The Young and the Restless

My latest random book-reading adventure took me to Josh's copy of Shakey: Neil Young's Biography by Jimmy McDonough (2002). I've always liked Neil Young, but I didn't know much about him beyond his music, and even my knowledge of that was based on just a few albums. Since he is potentially Josh's favorite musician of all time, I figured it wouldn't hurt for me to read a bit about him.

This biography is really an interesting read, and not just because Young has led a very interesting life. McDonough sets himself up with the task of writing a biography of a notoriously private man who, as we see through the course of the book, is very spontaneous and changeable in his enthusiasm for projects and people. Young's willingness to cooperate with the biography ebbs and flows over the decade that McDonough was at work on the book. Although there are extensive interviews with Young, the clearer picture of the man comes through those who are close to him, and the author spends time with seemingly every technician, musician, producer, roadie, and relative of Young's that would give him some time.

Although it covers a long period of time and a gazillion interviews in its 738 pages, the book reads very smoothly and never seems choppy or unfocused. Kind of like Young himself, who tries on different styles, technologies, and personas, and seems to constantly forge and break friendships, but always manages to remain himself.

Plus did you know that Neil Young owned a large interest in the Lionel Train Company and personally worked on the design of a new sound system for model trains, which he proceeded to demonstrate himself at major train convetions and corporate meetings? I love that.

Reading this book has inspired me to go through and listen to the Neil Young albums that Josh has on CD (because I'm not going to try to dig through the giant cassette crate of mystery, and I can't figure out the turntable). So far I've gotten through both Buffalo Springfield albums, Neil Young, Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, Neil Young and Crazy Horse Live at the Fillmore East, After The Gold Rush, Tonight's The Night, On The Beach, Zuma, American Stars & Bars, Comes A Time, Rust Never Sleeps, Hawks And Doves, Re-ac-tor, Trans, and Everybody'sRockin'. So I've gotten through 1983, and there are still twelve CDs on the shelf.

[Now if only my book club book would arrive from Amazon I could start reading it -- I don't want to start something else until it gets here, and I don't want to be behind my book club friends! Why, Amazon seller, why can't you send me this book. I paid for expedited shipping, after all.]

No comments: