Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Book Club Update

I am a super speedreader, it's true. I finished our next book club selection a few days ago -- the wondrous and awesome Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte (1848). I read this book once before, for a class in college, and it totally floored me. Ever since I've been planning to read it again, in a non-class setting, but just never gave myself the chance. Now I have, and there are no regrets. Hopefully the other two book club members like it too, since I was the one who suggested it.

I don't want to say too much about it, since that is saved for the sanctity of the bookclub. If you do feel like you might want to read some nineteenth century literature, give this one a try -- it is action packed with revenge, romance, and potentially the most twisted family tree on earth. Heathcliff! Catherine! The moors! Wuthering Heights has got it all.

Now I just have to re-read Jane Eyre...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

the (non-nerd) consensus choice for one of the three best fiction book you have to read in a english ph.d. program. i hate nerds.

Anonymous said...

i think i'm on page 145.i am not finished with the book, yet. last i heard, slacker julia hadn't even gotten it yet. i might not lose the book reading race this time! for the record, this will be the only time, most likely.

also for the record, i like Wuthering Heights a lot.
~courtney

Spacebeer said...

What are the other two best non-nerd fiction choices, I wonder?

p.s. I hear that all English PhD candidates are actually nerds. Is this true?