Monday, November 06, 2006

Play time

My latest randomly-generated read is yet another book from the wonderful world of Josh's book collection -- Complete Works: One (1954-1960) by Harold Pinter. Since Pinter is almost entirely a playwright, this first volume of his complete works is almost entirely plays, with the exception of two early short stories. The best known work in this volume is probably "The Birthday Party", which I had never read, but had heard of, and which has apparently been made into a film, which I'd really like to see.

In fact, I don't believe that I had read any Pinter before checking out this volume, and I would be more than happy to read some more. I like how no one in his plays really ever says anything that means anything to anyone else, and yet all the stuff they aren't saying means even more than it would if they just said it. Make sense?

It had been awhile since I sat down and read a collection of plays, and I really enjoyed it. Why don't I read plays more often? I'm going to have to try and work that in...

Next up: Wuthering Heights for the super three-person awesome book club with no name. Said book club could totally expand if anyone else wants to be included. You might have to think of a catchier name for it, though...

2 comments:

Angela said...

Hey, what a crazy coincidence! We're cataloging Pinter's adaptation of The French Lieutenant's Woman for a cataloging assignment right now! Next you're going to post something about the Wisconsin Blue Book of 1991-1992 and really blow my mind.

Anonymous said...

I love Pinter! Think I'll mosey over to the library and grab some plays to read at work--or better yet, perhaps they should be performed in our tiny offices. umm, maybe not.