Saturday, November 04, 2006

Unemployed

Oh, but just for two days.

My last day in the work of archival mathematics stuff was on Friday, and my first day with archival churchy records is Monday. My old work buddies were very nice and threw me the ultimate goodbye triumvirate of Lunch (the Eastside Cafe - yummy), Cake ("Congratulations Kristy" with purple flowers, eaten at 9:45 in the morning because they like it that way), and Happy Hour (the Crown and Anchor, because its right by my old work. And actually, right by my new work too.).

Now I have to get used to driving (and walking twice a week, that's my goal anyway) to a new place, figuring out where to get coffee, getting all my stuff just where I like it in my new office, and figuring out what all is in my new collections. When you are an archivist, the old historical stuff that is entrusted to your care sort of seems like it is your stuff after awhile. I hope they hire someone good to take care of my math stuff, because I kind of already miss it. Damn stuff.

3 comments:

casual ninja said...

how is your first day? i hope you can sit at the table with all of the cool archivists at lunch.

Spacebeer said...

First day was good -- I was given a big keychain full of keys and spent most of the day trying to figure out which locks they went into. Lunch was at a mexican restaurant with two very nice librarians. I had spicy chicken tacos!

Anonymous said...

Are you sure that was a good idea Kristy?? Maybe you should have gone with the boiled chicken tacos (slightly salted) to make a somewhat daring, but altogether solid impression. Then, every time you were about to say tacos, you substitute it with the phrase "Dewey Decimal Depositories." And discuss the blasphemies of hot sauce, and the sketchy business of salsa. And when the waiter asks you how your tacos are, even if he's cute, you lean over and go "shhhhhh!" And then to make sure, say "shhhh!" again. Then continue to talk about the symbolism of "Dewey Decimal Depositories" in DH Lawrence's later work.

Damn, maybe I should do your job for you. Except that you're super-smart, sweet, and love your work. Well, best to just hear my advice then (disregarding it all the while gaining more and more distance from me).